Something for that special yogi in your life, who is perhaps yourself!
by Olivia Cecchettini
1. Favorite Yoga Pants: Right now, I love Amari Active. I was looking for great quality that was also local to southern California and I stumbled upon Amari. Just up the 5N in Solano Beach, Amari is a newer company that really cares about fit, comfort and supporting their community. They are constantly hosting events to give back and collaborate with other local artists. Best part is they are NOT see-through, not even the white pants, I swear!
2. Favorite Yoga Mat: The Manduka Pro or Pro Lite. I personally use the Pro, but it is a little heavier and thicker than the Pro Lite, hence the name. It’s a personal preference thing (people with sensitive knees usually like a thicker mat, while those that travel often prefer lighter.) When choosing to buy a mat, get the mat you know you will use the most. Let your practice meet you where you’re at today. The Manduka mats are a big investment, but they do have a lifetime guarantee.
3. How To Pay It Forward: RAKE, or #randomactsofkindnesseverywhere. My boy Ricky started doing random acts of kindness a few years ago when he was going through a hard time and his experience took on a life of its own and has become a TRUE MOVEMENT!!! One of the coolest and craziest things Ricky does every year is drive across the country (he’s from Cleveland) and performs a RAKE Tour: 50 cities in 30 days with only an ID, car and paypal credit card performing random acts of kindness everywhere. He only has two rules; he can’t ask for anything and he can’t say no. Every year it is such an amazing thing to support and watch through his social media posts! (He’s a comedian as well, so it gets funny!!) He will be in San Diego on March 12, 2017 – hit him up if you have an idea or want to be involved! His entire vision is based on service and trust, what is more yogic than that?!
4. Yoga One Gift Card: This is hands-down the best yoga studio in downtown San Diego!!!!!!!! They offer a range of classes every day of the week, from never-stepped-on-a-yoga-mat beginner level to an intense sweaty and pretzely advanced level. They also have a wonderfully relaxing massage room. This could be your one-stop shop for wellness!
5. Favorite Yogi Read: If you know me, then you know how hard it is to pick just one! The Wisdom of No Escape by Pema Chodron is great book to start the year with acceptance and grace. Pema’s strength and wisdom are qualities I greatly admire, but I also really love her ability to relate to everyday esponsibilities and challenges with realism.
6. Just For Fun Gift: Yummy Yogi Cookie Cutters and Cutting Board, these are just a silly, fun gift to play with asana poses and have fun. Too cute not to share on the list!!
7. Indulgent Self-Care: Buddhi Boxes are a fun way to create a ritual of self-care and pampering. This “yogi care package” is delivered to your doorstep filled with useful samples and full-size goodies that switch up every month. From candles, to bath salts, to jewelry, to healthy snacks, they have it all. These boxes can be the perfect gift for yoga teachers, as it’s so important for them to stay balanced and nourished so they can continue to be of service to their communities. It might also be the perfect gift to yourself in the new year!
8. Best Stocking Stuffer: Sittin Pretty Still Candles are my favorite! Not only are they Reiki-infused, but they also have a secret mantra message of inspiration you get to see as the candle burns. They are dye, sulfate, and phthalate free and hand made with lots of love locally in San Diego.
9. Favorite Green Gift: Evrbottle. “Recycle, Reuse, Respect the Earth”, that’s the message behind each unique gift that can be found in this Carlsbad shop. Owned by a fun-loving couple from Venezuela, Gabby Troconis and Rusty Perez, who share their life as well as their message. “Give the bottle a second chance” is their motto and I think we can all take something away from that. Forgiveness. Second chances. Not judging a book by its cover. These are powerful messages to subtly put out in the world. Today more than ever, we “vote” with every dollar we spend, so why not support local businesses and help Mother Earth in the process – it’s a win-win.
10. Be PRESENT: this is the true gift!!! Take someone out to coffee or tea just to connect. Be present with them and not worry about what you’re going to say next, just trust and know that listening is enough. Most of us just want to be heard this holiday season, to know we aren’t alone, and to feel like we matter. Looking in someone’s eyes and really asking them how they are doing may be the greatest gift they receive.
My favorite San Diego coffee shop is The Nest Coffee and Tea located in Ocean Beach. Each month, manager Danielle Riggins creates a full moon cold brew, infused with moonlight, crystals, reiki and good vibes! Check it out every full moon of 2017. The best thing about The Nest is that every single item on the menu is hand-crafted with love and intention, you can taste it.
11. YOUR UNCONDITIONAL LOVE AND SUPPORT. Tell the people you love how you feel about them! Life is short, make sure you’re living it. Chances are you won’t remember what presents you received by this time next year, buy you will remember the people you choose to include in your life and shower with love.
Happy Holidays! Peace and Love!
*These recommendations were chosen by the author from her personal life experience and do not reflect any endorsements or paid advertisements.
Olivia’s yoga journey began in 2003. She is certified in Vinyasa, Hatha, and Aerial Yoga and holds a Masters degree in Spiritual Psychology. She believes the mind, body, soul connection is sacred and encourages her students explore and expand within their own bodies and consciousnesses.