How do yoga teachers feel about their practice? What inspires them to keep teaching and keep practicing yoga? Get to know your Yoga One teachers outside the studio and off the mat. This month’s interview is with Lauren Dickson.
1. Why do you practice yoga?
I practice yoga for so many reasons – from self-exploration to stress management in my daily life. I love that yoga increases my mindfulness and awareness of myself and the world around me.
2. What was the most intimidating aspect of your teaching when you first started?
Not always being able to offer one “right” or “best” way to practice when a student had a specific problem. It was hard to balance the organic and natural openness I feel a good teacher should have, while still being okay with being a student myself.
3. What gives you the most joy as a yoga instructor?
Seeing students find moments of ease and peace within their practice!
4. If yoga were a food, car, smell, planet, song, artist, flavor, etc…it would be: Annie Leibovitz, a portrait photographer. I love that she captures the present moment exactly as it is and celebrates it for what it is.
5. What’s your yoga inspiration?
Working (and practicing) towards living a balanced life, mentally and physically.
6. What classes do you teach at Yoga One?
You can find me in the Nook and subbing at our downtown location, plus I teach offsite corporate classes. 🙂